Old Linux Laptop of Mine

MANDRAKE 10.1 on a ThinkPad 600 (Type 2645-35U)

Last Updated: 11-27-04

1.) PII-233 MHz
2.) 192 MB RAM
3.) 3.1 GB HD (1.9 GB /, 200 MB swap, 1 GB /home)
4.) 12.1-inch TFT with 800 x 600 resolution
5.) MagicGraph 128XD (Uses NeoMagic 128XD module)
6.) D-Link DWL-650 VM.1 PCMCIA Wireless NIC
7.) 3Com 3c575 10/100 PCMCIA Ethernet NIC
8.) cs4236 sound card

Linux Distribution:
1.) Mandrake 10.1-Community Edition
2.) WindowMaker with Xorg

What Works:
1.) Wireless (ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net)
2.) Ethernet (no problems)
3.) Graphics
4.) External mouse/keyboard
5.) Alsa Sound
6.) APM & ACPI (at least some tested functions)

What Doesn’t Work (yet)
1.) Modem-hope to use http://www-124.ibm.com/acpmodem/
2.) IrDA (module loads, but no go after that).

Handy Links:
1.) MandrakeUsers.org
2.) Linuxquestions.org
3.) Linux on Laptops
4.) http://www.linuxelectrons.com/article.php/20040507104718960 This website was how I got my wireless NIC to work.


November 27, 2004: After some scouring of websites on how to do the whole ALSA thing and having talked with some people over email (Erik Streb mail@erikstreb.de pointed me in the right direction) I stumbled across something very helpful. It was a post on mandrakusers.org that helped me out so much. I couldn’t use the tool alsaconf (pointed out by Erik Streb over email). Upon using urpmi alsa-utils and then issuing the command alsaconf I was taken through a step-by-step process. I was led to the ISA card section and the cs4236 was configured perfectly. I was then prompted for changes to be made to the /etc/modprobe.conf file. Johnny Cash was playing within seconds.

November 25,2004: After changing over to FC1 for awhile and then to Windows 2000 for some software necessities (due to travel)…I changed back to Mandrake 10.1. I had previously written that I was contemplating Fluxbox. No longer. I tried it for awhile and prefer WindowMaker way more. On this install I stuck with some basics. I chose to install Mozilla browser and not anything else. It works and works well. GAIM was not updated because it too works. What I had not mentioned was that I updated the BIOS using the latest from IBM. It solved some APM/ACPI issues (apparently again, I haven’t spent tons of time on this) but most importantly solved the issue of booting from CD (the issue being that it didn’t recognize all manner of ISO images). Another thing to note is that in the BIOS settings, I disabled the quickboot option as this apparently disables some of the PnP tools. I have yet to fully investigate the ramifications of such.

October 8,2004: Needed a smaller installation, so I installed Mandrake 10.1 (newer kernel) and got the install down smaller than before. I can make all the progress I made before with ease. Modem and IRDA are at a standstill. Wireless works way better. I didn’t install Mozilla by default and am actually kind of regretting that. I am going to attempt basic settings such as output and use of docking station. So far, I haven’t attempted use of these. Also contemplating FluxBox. The RPMs exist for FC but not yet for Mandrake.

October 2,2004: On random occassions, the boot sequence had left me with two errors: 00163 and 00173. A quick google search said that this was a CMOS battery exhaustion error. So I started the search for a new battery. The IBM part number was 02K6486 and the FRU part number was 02K6502. It was simply a Panasonic CR2025 with a dual-wire lead and connector shrink-wrapped into place. http://batteriesplus.com/ was completely helpful and made (using my old CMOS connection) a new one for me. I would’ve had to wait about 7-10 days and give anywhere between twenty and forty dollars for the battery. I gave $2.75.

Originally posted on http://home.earthlink.net/~jmernstb/linux/tp600linux.html.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *