Kubuntu worked fine for me in several aspects. One of those was definitely not hard disk settings. Shortly after the install, my Kubuntu installation begin to issue hard disk commands so that after resume my hard disk was not functioning properly. Consequently, I went back to my standard of the Fedora distribution.
Again, let me give a description of this laptop and it’s hardware. The laptop is a Dell Latitude D630 laptop. It comes complete with 4 GB of RAM, a 120 GB hard disk, an Intel Core 2 Duo T7250 2.00GHz processor, an nVidia Quadro NVS135M, an IEEE 1394 port, a Broadcom BCM 5755M gigabit card, and an Intel Wireless 3945 ABG network interface.
Fedora 9 on a Dell Latitude D630 Laptop
I followed the Get Fedora link and then clicked on the x86_64 Install CD reference. I knew that the processor was a 64-bit processor. I chose to get the corresponding Net Install .iso image which was only 115 MB and would pull packages directly from repositories online. I chose the Secsup.org mirror and used the appropriate http directory for which the installer would look in. The speed quoted on the “Mirrors” page showed that this mirror is fast (and it was!).
I chose all the default packages EXCEPT that I wanted KDE as the desktop environment as opposed to Gnome. This installed KDE 4.0 which we will discuss in thorough detail later. Using the internet connection at my place of employment, the downloads were quick. (I was using Fedora 9 shortly after the install was started.)
My hard disk partitioning scheme was as follows:
- I narrowed (as discussed before) the NTFS partition down to 35 GB.
- I allotted 4 GB worth of swap (for suspend-to-RAM).
- There was already a 1xx MB partition for the Dell utilities which I did not delete.
- I now was running into the limit of 4 non-extended partitions. I consequently created the last two partitions in an extended partition. The “/” partition was made to be 19 GB and the “/home” partition was 55 GB. The last two were ext3 partitions.
At this point, some things do work and others do not. Suspend-to-RAM and suspend-to-Disk don’t work automatically (and as of 9/9/2008 still do not). If I close the lid, the laptop behaves like it suspends-to-RAM. Upon opening the lid, the computer reboots as if it were resuming from a full hibernate. The DVD-RW seems to be fully usable. Sound works (although the Dell keys for sound are not associated with an action). The gigabit ethernet adapter works flawlessly. The Intel Pro Wireless 3945 network interface works and uses the iwlwifi project drivers (now defunct). The light even works (it did not in Kubuntu). The installed kernel was 220.127.116.11-108.fc9.x86_64 #1 SMP (after updates).